How To Be A Billet Family
Thanks for considering being a host billet family for CSLC 2017, September 26-30!
Here’s what’s involved, how to register, and some frequently asked questions…
How to volunteer:
To become a billet family:
- Complete the application form
- Check your email for verification from CSLC 2017
- Receive your Vulnerable Sector Check, provided by the Waterloo Regional Police Service (Free of Charge).
- Submit Vulnerable Sector Check to:
Dan Steckley, Billeting Co-Chair
Sir John A. Macdonald Secondary School
Attn: Dan Steckley
650 Laurelwood Drive
Fax: 519 880 9718
- Provide breakfast each morning
- Provide transportation to and from the conference each day
- Organize dinner and activities with your students for one special evening with billets
- Provide a bed/air mattress for each student, and sufficient personal privacy
- Provide a criminal record check (free of charge) for all residents 18 years and older
Q: How many students can I host?
A: You must host at least 2 students, but you are free to host as many students as you can
house and transport comfortably!
Q: Does each student require their own room in my home?
A: Students can share a room, as long as each has his/her own bed or air mattress to sleep on.
Q: Can I carpool my students to and from the conference with another host family?
A: Absolutely! Carpooling is fun, earth-friendly, and will ease traffic flow at the conference site.
Q: What time do I need to drop students off in the morning and pick them up at night?
A: The drop-off/pick-up schedule is as follows:
Tuesday: 9:00pm pick-up/meet and greet at SJAM
Wednesday: 7:45am at SJAM, 9:00pm pick-up at SJAM
Thursday: 7:45am at SJAM, 9:00pm pick-up at SJAM
Friday: 7:45am at Conestoga Cineplex, 6:00pm pick-up at SJAM for host family
dinner and activities
Saturday: 7:45am at SJAM, 6:00pm drop off at Bingemans, 11:00pm pick-up at SJAM
Sunday: varying drop off times at SJAM for school departure
- please note that some schools will be leaving on Saturday evening or early Sunday morning
Q: What is expected for the host family dinner and activities on Friday evening?
A: Please provide your students a simple dinner and some enjoyable activities, at home or in the
community, that will allow students to become more familiar with your family and the KW area.
Q: I provide a criminal record declaration to my employer each year. Do I still need to have a Vulnerable Sector Check done for CSLC?
A: Yes. All residents of the home age 18+ require a Vulnerable Sector Check for CSLC (current within the past 6 months). WRPS will provide this service for CSLC volunteers free of charge.
Q: I have further questions about being a host family at CSLC 2017, who should I contact?
A: Please contact our billeting co-chairs with any further questions about becoming a host family:
519-885-4620 ext. 1149
519-880-9979 ext. 2101
Please feel free to share this with anyone you know who might be interested in this experience.
It takes a whole community coming together to offer authentic hospitality and showcase our region.